This is a very nice and honest cavalry carbine that falls dead in the range of weapons issued to the 1st California Cavalry. It is #96414 and #96409 and #96447 are BOTH documented by Springfield Research Service to have been issued to the 1st California.
The weapon retains all original parts, is crisply marked and functions perfectly. The bore is very good to fine. It has a wonderful crescent shaped “rub” mark in the left buttstock showing clearly that it was used on a sling and on horseback! Generous original color and case hardening remains overall.
The 1st Regiment California Volunteer Cavalry was a cavalry regiment in the Union Army during the American Civil War. It was first formed of five companies as 1st Battalion, 1st Regiment California Volunteer Cavalry between August and October 31, 1861, at Camp Merchant near Oakland. After the battalion was organized it was sent to Southern California. Three companies were stationed at Camp Latham, near Los Angeles, and two at Camp Carleton, near San Bernardino. On November 20–29, 1861, a detachment under Second Lt. C. R. Wellman was stationed at Camp Wright and pursued and captured Dan Showalter’s party west of the San Jose Valley and Warner’s Ranch. The battalion remained in Southern California until the spring of 1862, when it became part of the California Column and formed the advance force during the march to New Mexico Territory and Texas. In 1863, the Regiment was brought to full strength when seven more companies were raised to bring it to a full strength of twelve companies. The five companies first organized were mustered out August 31, 1864, the terms of service of most of the men having expired. Two new companies, B and C, were organized in New Mexico, by consolidation of the few men whose terms had not expired, and by new enlistments, and two new companies were enlisted in California, A and E, which, upon the completion of their organization, were sent to Arizona. All of the companies of First Volunteer Cavalry (Companies B, C, F, G, H, K, and M) stationed in New Mexico and Texas were ordered to assemble at Baird’s Ranch, near Albuquerque, to be mustered out of the service during the month of September, 1866. Company M was the last mustered out on September 30, 1866. The 1st Volunteer Cavalry Regiment spent its entire term of service in the western United States in California, New Mexico Territory and Texas.