Found in a New England estate along with several Civil War items from the North and the South, this large caliber single shot cavalry pistol is a French Model 1822 example made at the Chatellerault Arsenal. It was converted from flintlock to percussion in 1856 and likely sold as surplus to hungry US and Confederate purchasing agents in 1861 and 1862 when the need for all types of weapons on both sides was in high demand. Other than having a broken off hammer screw, it is in overall near fine mechanical and physical condition.
With a sighted tapering barrel and incorporating a built in rear-sight, flat bevelled lock with rounded tail engraved ‘MRE. IMP.ALE DE CHATELLERAULT’, walnut half-stock with inspection marks opposite the lock, long iron back-strap, brass mounts including pommel with iron lanyard ring, and iron ramrod this beast of a weapon was one of the examples produced following the Napoleonic Wars. It is unknown how many were imported to the US or CS from 1861-1865 but records support they were indeed purchased early on.