This primarily Cavalry issued weapon was manufactured by the Starr Arms Company of New York City, New York circa 1863 as part of a 25,000 revolver contract for the U.S. Ordnance Department. Another 7,000 are believed to have been manufactured for the commercial market. The Starr single action percussion .44 Army revolvers were the third most widely used revolvers of the American Civil War following Colt and Remington. The Model 1863 was manufactured upon the request of the Ordnance Department for a simpler and less expensive single action only version of Starr’s innovative double action design which was patented in 1858.
This particular revolver falls within the known and documented range of weapons issued to both the 6th and 7th Michigan Cavalry according to Springfield Research Service data files.