A hard core classic manufactured in Atlanta, Georgia circa mid-1863, serial #203. Clearly marked on the top of the barrel with a bold and crisp “C.S.” on the left side of the brass frame. This is one of only a few known to have survived and unlike most Confederate manufactured weapons, is arsenal marked. The action is strong and the original walnut grips are exceptional for the pattern. ALL of these weapons are extremely rare and pure museum and investment grade.
One of the best illustrations of the Confederacy’s lack of manufacturing capacity when compared to that of the Union is the small number of revolvers that were produced in the south during the American Civil War.
At least eleven southern companies were established for the purpose of manufacturing revolving handguns during the war, and the total output of all of these companies (using the most generous of estimates) was slightly less than 9,500 pieces. By comparison, Colt manufactured and delivered some 58,955 M1860 Army revolvers during 1863 alone, and delivered a total of 127,157 of the handguns between 1861 and 1863. The most successful of the Confederate handgun manufacturers, Griswold and Gunnison, delivered an estimated 3,700 revolvers circa 1862-1864; about 6% of Colt’s output during 1863 alone! Nearly 70% of all Confederate handguns were manufactured by three of the southern manufacturers; Griswold & Gunnison (approximately 3,700), Leech & Rigdon (approximately 1,500) and Spiller & Burr (approximately 1,250-1,450). Only one other maker, Rigdon & Ansley is believed to have reached the production output of 1,000 pieces