This Palmer carbine is a bolt action, single-shot, .50 caliber rimfire carbine made by the E. G. Lamson Company of Windsor, Vermont. One of an estimated quantity of 1,001 such carbines produced, this carbine was the first bolt action metallic cartridge firearm accepted by the US Ordnance Department for issuance to the service. Unfortunately, the Lamson firm gained its contract for the Palmer carbine after the war in June 1865 so the arm was never issued during the war. This fine carbine is in excellent condition as are most of the few known remaining Palmers.
The firearm has a bolt action operation that used a short handled bolt at the rear of the breech that when pulled back and opened, exposed the chamber for loading the rimfire round. A 20” barrel is secured to the stock via a single barrel band. The barrel bluing has turned, in places, to a pleasing dark plum patina overall and there are only very minor sections of very light pitting and oxidation. The rifled bore is excellent with minor light oxidation spots. Protected areas have traces of the original case color and all metal parts exhibit a very pleasing smooth coloring. The lockplate is stamped with “U.S. / E. G. LAMSON. & CO. / WINDSOR. VT” in front of hammer and “1865” behind the hammer. The top of receiver bolt is clearly stamped with “Wm. PALMER / PATENT / DEC. 22, 1863”. A deep clear government inspector cartouche (M M) found on the left flat of the stock opposite the hammer.
The excellent walnut stock retains almost all of its feathering effect but does have a few very minor dings and scuffmarks from handling and storage. The carbine has a staple-type sling bar and ring affixed to the right side of the stock flat. This is a very fine condition Palmer carbine which actually feels lighter than a 2nd Model Maynard.