This is a fine to excellent example of this popular carbine and shows very little actual use. It retains 90%+ of the original blued finish and very generous amounts of original case colors. The stock has very crisp military inspector marks and the mechanical action is flawless. The weapon is serial number 11,337 and Springfield Research Service notes that #11,336 and #11,338 were BOTH issued to Company C, 2nd Texas Volunteer Cavalry.
The unit was organized at Brownsville, Texas, December 15, 1863 and served as Unattached Cavalry, 13th Army Corps, Texas, Dept. of the Gulf, to June, 1864. It was then placed in the Cavalry Brigade, United States Forces, Texas, to June, 1864, then the District of Morganza, Dept. of the Gulf, to August, 1864. It was then made into a separate Cavalry Brigade, 19th Corps, Dept. of the Gulf, to November, 1864. The unit served on duty at Brownsville and on the Rio Grande, Texas, till July, 1864 until ordered to New Orleans, La., thence to Morganza on August 6, and on duty there till November where it was consolidated with the 1st Texas Cavalry November 1, 1864.